Saturday, January 28, 2006

things to love in Magyarorszag (Hungary)

1. Furry Animal Hats. My father in law used to be quite the outdoor sportsman. He hunted for years and has various souvenirs. These righteous hats are part of a large collection.


















2. Snowy nights. Even though the winter sucks ass, every few weeks it snows just enough to leave us dreaming of snowmen. It also never fails to disappoint us by only dropping centimeters at a time.






3. No real job to speak of. Besides being a mom and a wife. This is perhaps the best part of life period. When we moved here I had to give up my job running a restaurant for 60-70 hours a week for almost no money. I never saw my baby girl nor my husband. I spent all of my time trying to make shitloads of money for other people whilst being told various lies. My most favorite lie went something like this:

me: (freaking out in a big, scary way) I CAN'T DO THIS JOB ANYMORE, I NEVER WANTED TO DO THIS JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE. I GOT ANOTHER OFFER AND AM GIVING MY NOTICE BECAUSE THIS JOB IS SERIOUSLY MAKING ME CONTEMPLATE HURTING PEOPLE.

my boss: whoa, slow down. everyone here loves you and you're doing a great job; i'm going put you in for a raise because you've really been putting yourself out there. Not as much as me but then i guess i'm supposed to be here all the fucking time while you guys get to take time off. but no worries, you know i love you and think you're great.

me: (hiccupping back the sobs) a rraaise would be good. i'm sorry, i'm just really tired. i'll feel better tomorrow

In case you didn't know I am the world's worst confronter. I was told this lie no less than 4 times in 6 months and never once did I receive the raise. I was however given guilt trips on a daily basis for not answering my cell phone every time it rang including in the middle of the night. The F-word was screamed at me on various occasions and I would then be called back 6 times within 10 minutes and apologized to in a manner that made me believe my boss beat his wife. If I felt like a battered spouse how did/does she feel? scary.

4. Cheap alcohol. My husband and I went out last night and imbibed no fewer than 10 alcoholic beverages and including the tip we spent $17. They're not so sure of how to make the drink but for $1.50, as long as it's vodka and tastes like vodka, I have no problems.

5. My Family. I mentioned above that I didn't see them very often and I really didn't. I spent approximately 4 hours a day with my daughter and when I worked doubles I only saw her awake for about 10 minutes a day. My husband is a saint. And now for 3 months we have spent almost every day together and sometimes it's hard and sometimes I cry, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

No comments: