Friday, March 09, 2007

closing the divide

Yesterday just happened to be International Women's Day, which in the U.S. means conversations regarding sexism and the how's and why's, etcetera are sparked. I definitely do not want to beat a dead sheep repeating thoughts, ideals that are better said by someone who believes them. Why? Because I don't enjoy pointing out the differences between anyone let alone men and women. It's obvious we're different. And it bothers me that all we can do is state the obvious. You and I are both women and yet we are not the same. I am a domestic goddess, you may be a corporate goddess, I don't know.

I do know however, that by lending ourselves to a fight which is pointless and painful and in which we seek to prove that we are not different only showcases that difference. You cannot disprove fact. You just can't.

My point of view may be refuted based on case studies of income discrepancies, inequalities, whatever, but I don't really care. I believe in women's rights, hell, I believe in men's rights too because I believe in human rights. Most of us with the time and resources to blog and read blogs and wax poetic on the injustices of the modern world have been blessed with privilege. The privilege of living in the free world, the world of excess, of opportunity. Therefore, we have the privilege of time to rant about the perceived inequalities among us. Because we don't have to worry about where our next meal will come from.

It seems that as long as we point out how we're perceived differently or paid differently we are hindering ourselves from narrowing the divide. We should instead celebrate diversity, that we aren't all cut from the same pattern and just enjoy our lives, differences and all.

No comments: