Friday, July 07, 2006

they want to take it all away

This morning I was reading the online n.y.times (sorry registration required) and found myself sorely dissappointed in the domestic policies. Now, I just have to get up on my soapbox for 2 minutes. Is anybody else saddened by the fact that the U.S. is becoming more puritannical than even the Puritans? First they (oooh, the mysterious THEY!) try to gain support for reversing Roe vs. Wade because, apparently, 33 years were enough and now women should be stripped of their decision making abilities. It's counter-intuitive to productive society. No. It's just plain fucked up and I respectfully decline the States' offer to make my personal decisions for me. Thank you very much.

Now it seems that New York State, the coolest kid in the nation hanging out with 'Cali' and Hawai'i, has firmly denied the right of gay marriage. It makes me wonder: why is it that we care sooo much about what is going on in other people's lives? Who says sexual orientation is a choice and where is the equality in defining an civil union between a man and a woman? So I, personally, do not need the right to marry because I "picked" the right orientation. But if you're gay, too bad for you. BOOHOCKEY, I say. As a woman, a mother, a daughter, a wife, and an American I am appalled. Appalled, people.

Sexual orientation can be a choice. Sure. I think a lot of college kids might agree with me, I know I had several opportunities to choose. However, we cannot choose with whom we feel connected, sexually attracted or with whom we fall in love. We do not choose to be straight or be gay. You realize an orientation yes, but choosing it? Not so much.

I wish, that for just once, people would just get over themselves. Stop trying to fill your time by ruining the lives of others. If it doesn't affect your personal life, you should not be allowed an opinion. Rather, I think we should busy ourselves trying to end world hunger or education* or, I don't know, investigating the misappropriation of emergency funds or building competent contingency plans. Oh, say can't you see there are more constructive things to be doing?

and on a completely different note.
Is anybody else completely enraged that fucking Ken Lay just up and died right after being found guilty? I mean, holy cop out. I was so excited that he was gonna go to jail. For a long time. Lucky bastard.

*editors note... I now realize that it sounds like we should end education but I meant it the other way. You know, end world hunger and raise education standards. I don't type so well.

1 comment:

Kit said...

Yep it's a crazy world. Puritan Nanny States swathing you in cotton wool and soapsuds.